The Volunteer Lawyer Program has volunteer attorneys for many types of cases, which are outlined below.
Please read carefully the information we have provided before calling for the initial intake.
Types of cases taken
- Family Law
- Dissolution of Marriage
- Step-Parent Adoption
- Bankruptcy (Client must have $335 filing fee before being placed with a volunteer attorney)
- Small Claims Collections (No lawsuits)
- Real Estate
- POA/Wills/Health Care Directives
- Estate Law
- Tort Defense
Cases not taken
- Change of venue
- Driver's licenses or traffic tickets
- Fee-generating cases, such as personal injury
- Cases where hearing is set within the next 30 days
- Representation of incarcerated people
- Any case against the judicial or criminal justice system or any government entity
- Cases filed in other pro bono districts or other states
- Interstate cases
- We DO NOT give legal advice (Only attorneys can give advice, and we do not staff attorneys in our office.)
Not every person who qualifies for VLP assistance is referred to an attorney for direct representation.
Some people may be placed in one of our other programs.